Skip to main content

A Picture Worth A Thousand Words

In the middle of my craziness this week I came across a picture that broke my heart. In my eyes it's a strong depiction of how our society has focused more on the image then the self-esteem of our young girls and women overall. Society has added an unreal image to the word “beautiful” which makes so many young girls and women feel that they are not. I am not saying that we should encourage our young girls or our society to eat unhealthy and to remove exercise from their daily activities. I am simply saying that we must rearrange our focus.


Photo Credit: Shanea Gaiger
We should encourage, educate and empower our young girls to love them-selves. To understand that they are beautiful regardless of their height, weight, race, ethnicity and whatever else may make them  “different”. The women represented in the media should be diversified not only in race, but in size. 
They should be of all sizes as that is the true depiction of our society.

I can’t speak for all plus size women, but it has taken all 28 years of my life to get to a point where I can look in the mirror and love myself. I’ve always been a big girl and I can’t even begin to count the many healthy and unhealthy diets I’ve tried. I have had at least three different gym memberships and struggled at each gym. I’ve been a size 22 and have come down to a 16 and back up and down and back up again. No different than people who are underweight, the struggle is more emotional than many can imagine. I can remember so many times driving to the gym and not getting out my car, because I was too overwhelmed and upset. Wondering what others were going to think and how ashamed I was of myself.

Somehow many in our society think that people who are overweight wake up one morning and say, “you know what, I want to be “fat” ”.  They are quickly labeled as “lazy”, which is not always the case.  It makes me upset that in our society many think that  people who are overweight have let them-selves go and are eating through life instead of   “getting off their ass and doing something about it”. Once again I don’t want to generalize, but I can speak for myself and I know for so many others when I say, that is not that simple and that the struggle is real.

I am a true believer that self-love is a journey and once we begin to love and value ourselves we can make the changes to live a healthier lifestyle. We can focus on our health; emotionally, physically, and spiritually. When we are able to love and care for the reflection in the mirror more than anything our lives begin to change. This is what we should be hearing from our society! Young girls should hear loud and clear that they are important, valued, and loved for whom they are, not what for the numbers on a scale or anything else. It should not be about being skinny, but being healthy and happy with who you are!

As always Queens stay beautiful, love yourself and everything else will fall in place! 

XoXo 
Paulaska 


Picture Source: https://www.facebook.com/officialderrickjaxn?fref=phot

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Love Affairs With Flats...

Oh my love affair with flat… started around 2003. See somehow I stepped on a toothpick, yes I said a stupid toothpick! It was the summer before my junior year of high school and I had come home from my summer job. I took off my shoes and walked into the living room, where we had a thick shaggy rug. Somehow there was a toothpick and I steeped on it. We didn’t even have toothpicks at home! To make a long story short, the following morning I ended in the hospital and it was like I never left. I had six  surgeries  between that July and April 2003. So clearly high heels have near been my thing. Though I think they are absolutely beautiful and wish I could walk at least to the car in them.  So I began my love affair with flats, always looking for comfortable and fabulous ones to make my outfits. Check out a few I am hoping to add to my collection this fall! Ballerina Flats with Gems (Zara) $ 59.90  Leather Ballet Flats with Blow (Zara) $ 59.90  Printed  Leather Slippers (Zara

New York Fashion Week Plus (NYFW+) Breaks Down The Barriers!

I had the great pleasure of assisting the talented Brandee Joyner and the ManikMag team as they made history with New York Fashion Week Plus (NYFW+) ! And let me tell you that history was definitely made with a week of astonishing fashion presentations from eight phenomenal designers. The collections from  Oseas Villatoro , Danielle Ferguson , Harvest Powell ,  Eula Taylaor ,  Ava Jones , Marco Hall ,   Phoenyx  Reign , and  Tatiana Castro  were full of bold color, prints, and textiles! Giving life to plus-size fashion! Hope and Harvest (Harvest Powell) Dreams By Danielle (Danielle Ferguson) Studio (Oseas Villatoro) Photographer: ShotByJason Twelve26 (Eula  Tayalor ) Pheline Design (Ava Jones)       Marc Hall NYFW+  broke barriers and created a platform for plus-size women and designers. All during one of the most iconic weeks in fashion, New York Fashion Week! Breaking down the door, setting the standards high and making it very clear that plu

Rules of Styling You Must Never Forget!

'Fashions fade, style is eternal.' - Yves Saint Laurent Read more at http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/542820/the-40-best-style-quotes-of-all-time.html#SYrae4BgEz4L73EZ.99 I had the great pleasure of styling the  award-winning activist, choreographer, and writer,   Mark Travis Rivera ,  for the opening night of  the 4th Annual Six Degrees of Separation: Balance vs. Chaos showcase at  The Actors Fund Arts Center !   When it comes to styling,  whether  someone like the talented Mark Travis Rivera, a friend, or your fabulous self, it's important to keep three rules in mind.  One, style is totally personal! There is no right or wrong, so step out the box and go with what makes you feel good.  Two, accessories are everything! I mean what better way to give your outfit life then with a signature necklace, bag or why not just both?! Three and most important of all, don't forget to wear your  confidence!  It's truly what sets you apart from the rest.